Rotary International (RI) is the oldest and quite influential international association of businessmen and leading specialists; there are 1.2 million Rotarians, 29 629 clubs in 163 countries of the world (data as of November 2000).
It was founded in 1905 in Chicago (USA).
The headquarters is located in Evanston, Illinois, USA.
countries of the world
– to encourage and implement the public service in every way as the basis for constructive entrepreneurship
– “Service Above Self”
– expansion of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
– high ethical standards in business activity, recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; pride of each Rotarian for his work for the sake of serving the society;
– embodiment of serving the society by every Rotarian in his personal, business and social life;
– striving for international understanding, goodwill and peace on the basis of a worldwide fraternity of businessmen and leading specialists united by the idea of serving the society.
The Code of Honor of the Rotarian is expressed in the famous 4-test that guides the Rotarian in his actions, words and thoughts in business and everyday life:
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build a GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Each Club operates in four areas:
- Intraclub (organizational) work, which determines the microclimate of the Club members, who are united by the idea of serving the society (Сlub Service),
- Production activity based on high moral and ethical standards (Vocational Service),
- Assistance to the city (Community Service),
- International activities for the sake of peace and understanding on Earth (International Service).